University of Oregon


General Information

Q. What is the "jurisdiction" or coverage area of UOPD?

A. First, it is important to know that in the State of Oregon, sworn law enforcement officers have the authority to enforce the law anywhere in the state, regardless of the boundaries of their employing agencies.

UOPD's patrol and response area includes the main UO campus in Eugene, as well as any UO-owned and -controlled properties. As a practical matter, UO properties far from the UOPD station (whether in Eugene or elsewhere) may also be served by the closest local law enforcement agency.

Q. Can Eugene Police come onto the UO campus?

A. Yes; the Eugene Police Department's jurisdiction includes all of the City of Eugene, including the UO campus. Also, state law allows all sworn law enforcement officers certified by the state to enforce laws anywhere in the state, regardless of employing agency jurisdiction. 

Q. How does UOPD work with EPD?

A. As a small and developing law enforcement agency, there are many services that UOPD is not equipped to provide. For these, it partners with other law enforcement agencies. The Eugene Police Department (EPD) is a comparatively large department that is close by, and can provide extra officer support, criminal investigations support (including violent crimes like sexual assault or homicide), explosives detection and disposal, tactical response (like SWAT and hostage negotiation), and other services.

UOPD's presence on and around campus can allow EPD to focus resources elsewhere, and UOPD can sometimes assist EPD with investigations or other law enforcement action related to the UO that would otherwise be difficult because of EPD's stretched resources and community-wide demand.

Q. What kind of officers does UOPD have?

A. UOPD employs sworn police officers, as well as non-sworn public safety officers, and non-sworn security officers. UOPD also employs student security assistants. 

Q. What is a "public safety officer?"

A. A Public Safety Officer is one type of uniformed patrol officer employed by UOPD. Under state law, they are classified as "special campus security officers," and they have legal authority to make certain types of stops and arrests. They do not have the full legal authority of sworn police officers, but they have far more training and authority than security officers, who have "observe and report" responsibility.

For many years, public safety officers were the only type of officer in the UO "Department of Public Safety" that was responsible for patrol and calls for service. Public safety officers wear dark blue uniforms, and have badges and patches that say "public safety" rather than "police." They carry radios, pepper spray, batons, and restraints (such as handcuffs) but not firearms.

Q. What is a "Campus Crime Alert?"

A. Campus Crime Alerts are released by the University of Oregon Police Department when certain crimes are reported on or near campus property, and in compliance with federal law (the "Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act.") These timely warnings provide information about campus safety situations, and allow campus community members to take precautions for personal safety. All crimes should be reported as soon as possible to local law enforcement.

The notices are sent to all individuals with UO e-mail accounts; the notices are also posted on, and may be published through social media channels as well.

The Clery Act obligates higher education institutions to put out timely warning notices when certain types of dangerous crime ("Clery crimes") happen in a university's "Clery-reportable area," if those crimes pose a serious or ongoing threat to the campus community. Institutions are not compelled to release notices about incidents that happen outside of their Clery-reportable areas. The law does not define a specific amount of time after the incident for what is considered "timely." However, institutions are expected to assess and if indicated, distribute the notices as quickly as is practicable. 

Timely warning notices will not be distributed when an arrest is made for an incident (as the threat is at that point eliminated). They will not include specific information about victims, but will identify the gender and UO affiliation of victims, because this information is seen as important in conveying the safety and risk trends in the campus area. Timely warnings may also be modified or suspended if an investigating law enforcement agency believes that the release would compromise a criminal investigation. 

Timely warnings are different from emergency notifications, which are expected to be broadcast immediately, about an imminent safety threat to the campus.

An archive of past Campus Crime Alerts is available at

Q. How can someone make a commendation or complaint regarding UOPD?

A. The department has an online form for commendations or complaints at

The commendation and complaint form is also available in paper format, and may be picked up from or returned to UOPD, 2141 E. 15th Ave., Eugene (by mail: 6220 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403).

Q. How can someone see the operational or policy manual for UOPD?

A. The manual is available as a PDF download from Some sections that cover tactical responses and instructions are redacted for officer safety.


  • Q. What is the best browser in which to view content?
  • A. The latest versions of Internet Explorer or Mozilla (recommended) are ideal for browsing. All these browsers provide adequate security features for filing secure online forms. If you seek further information on security, see the disclaimers page. For further computing help, see the Computing Center website.
  • Q. How do I find what I am looking for on
  • A. Try the Search page. You can easily access this under the Navigation menu on the left side of the page. If you are having trouble getting the information you need, please do not hesitate to contact the University of Oregon Police Department via phone 541-346-2919 (Dispatch Non-Emergency) or e-mail. A list of department employees along with their areas of expertise is located on the Department Contacts page.


  • Q. What forms of payment do you take?
  • A. Key deposits may only be in cash or check, however, as they are refundable upon return of the key.
  • Q. Can I make a payment over the phone?
  • A. No, sorry.
  • Q. Where do I pay?
  • A. Please visit Room 11 on the ground floor of the EMU for all transactions.


  • Q. My car's broken down! What do I do?
  • A. Call Parking and Transportation at 541-346-5444 and report the incident. They will assist you in getting the vehicle moved to a secure location. UOPD does not allow inoperable vehicles to be left on university property.
  • Q. My car's battery has died.
  • A. Parking and Transportation will assist in "jump starting" vehicles parked on campus, provided an officer is available and that the vehicle owner is the one requesting assistance.
  • Q. I locked my keys in my car! Can you unlock it for me?
  • A. UOPD does not unlock cars or provide tools for unlocking. Please request roadside assistance through your car insurance provider or a tow company.

Building Access

  • Q. My key is bent. What should I do?
  • A. If your key is bent, simply bring it Room 11 on the ground floor of the EMU with your University ID to request a replacement. In the case of damaged or otherwise non-functional keys, the University Access Coordinator will replace the key at no additional cost, provided that the original is returned. A replacement will take one to two business days to be prepared, at which point you will need to Room 11 on the ground floor of the EMU to pick up the replacement key.
  • Q. My card access stopped working. How do I fix that?
  • A. If you previously had card access but it has stopped working, there are two probable situations. The most likely one is that your card access expired. The University Access Coordinator will be able to verify the status of your card for you. If the card has expired, simply contact your department to request new authorization for your card access. This will be processed basically as if it were a new application. If you recently replaced your University ID card, then your card's encoding will have changed. Please visit Room 11 on the ground floor of the EMU with your ID in hand to inform the Access Coordinator of the change; using your card, they will update your access authorization. If you need to use your card access immediately, please inform the staff member who assists you. In any other situation, simply visit Room 11 on the ground floor of the EMU to speak with the building access coordinator, who will assist you in troubleshooting the situation.
  • Q. My card or key isn't working and I need to get in right away!
  • A. In situations where you need immediate access and you just discovered an access issue, please contact the University of Oregon Police Department immediately at 541-346-2919. We will have record of your access authorization, and may be able to send an officer to assist you in accessing the building. We request that during the next regular business day, you visit the office to try to resolve the issue as soon as possible.
  • Q. How do I get access to a University building? A. For keys or card access to a University building, please contact your department's office for their procedure for establishing authorization. UOPD cannot give you access to a building without prior authorization from a department.

Personal Safety

  • Q. What should I do if someone is harassing me?
  • A. Contact our office, 541-346-2919, and speak with an officer. A public safety officer can help you assess the situation and offer suggestions to help resolve the problem. It is better to notify our office and ask for help then try to handle things alone.
  • Q. What should I do if I'm afraid to walk across campus at night?
  • A. If walking around campus in the evening, it's recommended that you walk with a friend or in groups. Please avoid dark areas. Stay in well-lit pathways closer to streets and main walk-ways. Become familiar with emergency call box locations. Don't walk alone, if you can't find a friend to walk with, call the Assault Prevention Shuttle or our office for an escort.


  • Q. Do I have to register my bicycle?
  • A. Yes, bicycles on campus must be registered. Bicycle registration is free and the registration system provides a valuable service to owners and the University. For help with bicycle registration, please contact the Parking and Transportation office, 541-346-5444;
  • Q. Is bicycle theft a problem on campus and do I need to worry about locking my bike?
  • A. Bicycle theft can be a problem anywhere. Be safe and secure your bike to protect your investment.